Sunday, April 26, 2009

Rice Pudding

This past weekend my oldest niece, Kelsey got married to the man of her dreams in the Denver, Colorado Temple. I wasn't able to attend so I have been a little home-(family) sick.

Tonight I decided to make one of my family's favorite comfort food dessert, Rice Pudding. I thought it would ease my homesickness a little. This recipe was from a cookbook my grandmother, Alta Taylor, owned when she was a young mother. When I was a little girl, my mom used to make a triple batch so we could eat it for breakfast the next morning too. Yum!

Rice Pudding
1/3 cup sugar
2 well beaten eggs
2 cups milk
1 T butter
1/2 t vanilla
1/2 t cinnamon
1/4 t nutmeg
1 C cooked rice
1/3 C raisins

Beat sugar and eggs together. Gradually add milk. Stir in the rest of the ingredients and pour into 1 quart casserole dish. (tripling this will fit in a 9x13 pan) Bake at 350 for 40-60 minutes depending on how big you make the recipe. When done, a knife blade will come out clean.

4 comments:

Jen said...

I am going to try this recipe tomorrow- when your facebook status changed earlier and involved this dish I started craving it- it's such good comfort food!! I understand family-sick-- I had told Ben last week when my aunt left that that was how I was feeling, and he said, "But I AM your family!" I am family- and- Michelle sick right now. Why can't we all just live in one big commune? :)

Science Teacher Mommy said...

I always think of your family when I think of rice pudding. I'd never even seen it made until I married Plantboy.

Heather said...

Loved the rice pudding, thanks for sharing with us!

Jen said...

It was so good. Thanks for posting that recipe... I am going to enjoy it again and again!!!