Monday, October 6, 2008

We Thank Thee O God For A Prophet

My freshman year at BYU, I found myself rooming with a girl named Stacie from California. She was a stalwart member of the church. One Saturday morning in October she got up, got dressed in a skirt and asked if I was ready to go. I didn't know where we were going but I followed her anyways. We went down stairs, across to the Cannon Center and sat down. I asked her what we were doing there. She replied, "We are going to watch conference." To which I replied, "Today is Saturday."

"Yes, Michelle. Conference is today and tomorrow."

"Really? I thought Saturday is only for adults," I said completely bewildered.

"No, it is for everyone. And by the way, you are an adult."

Growing up I was only required to sleep, I mean sit, through the Sunday morning session of conference and highly encouraged to watch the afternoon session also. My dad would listen to something while working in the garage on Saturdays but I never knew I could listen to it also. The Priesthood session was always special to see all my brothers and my dad go together.

Thankfully we get to learn and grow up a little, or in my case, a lot. I now look forward to watching and learning from all sessions of conference and this weekend was no different.

It was such an amazing weekend to listen to the prophet and apostles.
Below are ten of my favorite and most memorable moments. As always, I felt like everything I heard was directed specifically to me.

1. President Monson: Announcement of five new temples. It is so interesting to have a temple announced in Rome and I wonder if the new one in the Kansas City Area will be the temple for NW Arkansas. Depending on where it is located, it could be a half hour closer than the OK City Temple. It is so exciting.

2. Elder Perry: Simplify your life. Don't pay interest...Earn it!

3. Neil Anderson: I liked his idea of spiritual food storage. Fear and faith cannot coexist.

4. I loved the Primary children singing. Did anyone else see the boy who was trying to tell his neighbor to take his hands out of his pockets while they were singing? (It was almost as comical as when Sarah Palin's eight year old was holding her baby brother during Palin's first speech and the little girl licked her hand and then smoothed down her brothers hair with it!)

5. Elder Wirthlin-His story about his daughter going on a blind date and getting into the car of the man there to pick up her sister for a babysitting job was hilarious. I also am going to make a stitch for my room with the words from his mother. "Come what may and love it" So perfect for my stage in life right now.

6. Lawrence Corbridge: I was very impressed and touched by his testimony of the Savior.

7. Elder Bednar: I don't know if it is my connection to him or not but I love listening to him speak. He is the man that inspired Blaine to work for Wal-Mart. I guess we owe him for these great experiences we are having right now. He spoke about three things that make our prayers more meaningful. 1. counsel with the Lord in all thy doings 2. express heartfelt gratitude 3. pray for others with real intent and a sincere heart.

8. Elder Hales: The high ground is the first to see the light in the morning.

9. President Monson: Never let a problem to be solved be more important that a person to be loved. I needed to hear that!

10. Elder Nelson: I thought his idea of "marital shoplifting" was ingenious.

1 comment:

Tyler V said...

Do you know, I had a similar experience my sophomore year at college with my roommates watching Saturday conference. I didn't really even know it existed! Good thing we figured it out, huh?
Sat. afternoon was my fav, with Elder Wirthlin's and Elder Holland's talks the ones that I connected with the most (perhaps because the kids were asleep and we could actually hear that part of the session...).
-Ali