The boys in my family would always go out for ice cream after attending the Priesthood Session of Conference. My mom started making it a special night for us girls that got to stay at home. Since being married I haven't lived near my mom or any of my sisters so I decided to make my own fun. For several years I have tried to invite someone over while my husband was away and treat myself to a little something special.
This year I hosted a party for 25 of my friends (and 15 of their kids). It was another push-me-out-of-my-comfort-zone-so-I-can-grow moments.
Let me preface this a little.
I called almost each person myself and had to speak in Spanish. I begged Blaine to call but he said I needed the practice. I hid in the closet and had to give myself a pep talk each time before I called someone. You should have seen me acting like a shy boy trying to ask someone on a date. It is hard enough to speak to them at church but to speak over the phone is ten times harder. In Guatemala, people do not just have parties to hang out and have fun. There have been plenty over the top birthday parties with 150 of my closest friends and family to celebrate a 1 year old's birthday party, but nothing like this. After talking to one lady, I told her I was hosting this get-together during the evening when our husbands were going to be gone. She asked me, "why?" I nicely said because it gives me an excuse to make some really good food (and eat it!) Does there have to be more of a reason than that?
For the first forty-five minutes, no one ate anything. I asked one lady why not and she told me everyone is shy to get up and be the first. I announced I was American and not shy about eating at all. Everyone followed suit. There was so much yummy stuff, I went back for fifths! (what? we had small plates!)
We played the Candy Bar Game at the end. (I had bought about 20 candy bars and set them in the middle of the room. You roll two dice. If you get doubles, you get to pick a candy bar. Once they are all gone, you start stealing them from other people.) I couldn't find a Symphony-the usual favorite. Strangely, everyone fought over the Skittles. I thought that was hilarious.
On a side note: When it was Dora's turn to take candy from someone, she felt so awkward that she wouldn't get up and take it from anyone. We had to stop the game and MAKE her pick something. Shortly after that I found her in the kitchen doing the dishes! She didn't not feel comfortable being one of the ladies.
Once again-no pictures. My camera broke that night. I guess you won't be able to see the adorable name tags I made for everyone. I copied the idea from my talented friend Valerie.
Monday, October 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
You are really so brave. I don't think I could have done it.
You are brave! Usually I just invite a few friends to meet me at McDonalds. I wasn't even up for that this year though. Good for you!
don't be shy Michelle!
How fun is that? You are a pioneer.
I have to ask...are you enjoying Austenland? I can't get enough of it. I think I have read it twenty times in the past year. I finally loaned it to Juanita just to get it out of my house. I love that book. So clever and fun. I edited myself a copy so that I can read it over and over again. OK, I'm telling you this because we need a little virtual book group together!
Hey, I thought I would check out your blog. It's pretty good, keep up the good work. I will admit I am also impressed you speak Spanish. And as you know, it takes quite a bit to impress me. Do I count as one of those creepy internet people?
All I can say is ginger bread and lemon topping. What a night and what a way to start a friendship.
Post a Comment