Friday, October 3, 2008

Nobody Likes Me, Everybody Hates Me...

When I was in third grade, my brother and I took the bus to school every morning. One morning after a rain storm, the road was covered with worms trying not to drown. Someone dared my younger brother to eat one of the earthworms. Being the six year old boy that he was, (that being reason enough to do almost anything disgusting)he picked one up and licked it. Needless to say, I have had a "bad taste" in my mouth from worms ever since.

A few weeks ago I changed Luke's diaper. (I have changed it since then, multiple times in fact, but this is a specific instance I am talking about.) He had an eight inch worm in his diaper. I screamed. I started wondering how this little worm found it's way from the dirt outside, up my stairs, into his crib and then past the pajamas and diaper. This little guy must be a trooper. He was on a mission. Then I realized that could never happen. It must have been from somewhere else. It must be something else.

I screamed again.

It came from inside of him.

Luke had a parasite.

Aside from the obvious, the grossest thing to me was Luke wanted to play with it. He cried when I took it away. He kept yelling, "bug, Bug, BUG."

Blaine and I took him to the Dr. who confirmed he had a parasite. He tried to convince me you can get this in the US also but we all know he was trying to to make his country look better.
We all know this is due to living in a third world country.

It explains so much. Luke was diagnosed with acid reflux last year. He was on medicine for almost six months, on a special diet for even longer. He never even tasted juice until a month ago. As I read the side effects of having an eight inch long parasitic worm in your stomach and intestines, I realize he probably never had acid reflux. He must have been harvesting little baby worms all along.

I have a picture. I decided to spare all of you. I hope you are grateful.

6 comments:

Jen said...

I am so excited that you have a blog. That story, as horrible as it is, also cracks me up! You are so entertaining. I'm so glad you are a BLOGGER now!!!

Dave said...

I want to see the pictures!

Kathleen said...

I have a group of people from high school that I email and I didn't spare them the picture. I sent it to them without warning. Probably not the most tactful thing for me to do. But I think everyone needs to see it. It was fascinating.
One of my friends suspected the same thing you did about the doctor just trying to make the country look good. He said that he knows people from 3rd world countries get defensive about that. I'm sorry it happened but it truly was fascinating.

The Jeffs Family said...

I totally want to see pictures! Leave it to a boy to want to play with the worm! I am so glad you are blogging. What a beautiful family you have. I look forward to hearing how you are doing more often!

SnellieFam said...

I am so sorry! Having boys is so much fun! I am glad you have a blog now. Our's is simply snelgrove.com

Triple A said...

Michelle-I think I might faint. So fun to have you on the blog world. Can't wait to see more pics of your cute fam. I will call you and we can talk blogs.