Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Mother's Day

I got to celebrate Mother's Day for almost a whole week this year. Before my parents left, I took my mom and Brinley to the salon for a mani/pedi.



It was the first manicure for my mom. Our three generational outing was so much fun.




We laughed, we cried, we grew closer and celebrated each other.
____________________________________
Blaine and the kids gave me a beuatiful watch Sunday afternoon.
____________________________________

Mother's Day is not necessarily on Sunday in Guatemala.
The first year here, it was on a Thursday.
I had no idea.
This year it landed on Sunday and so the annual Mother's Tea at school was Monday afternoon.
I had three to go to. At the same time.
With a little time management, we hit all of them.
______________________________________

Brinley was first. We had a brunch with food the kids made all by themselves, complete with place mats and paper flowers with her picture. She gave me a book she filled out. These glimpses into the mind of my children are so meaningful to me. (Even if they are so far from the truth.)

My Mom:
My mom's favorite place to go is...a restaurant for lunch.
My mom's favorite thing to do is...play with me.
My mom's favorite food to eat is...tortillas.
My mom loves me because...I take care of Luke.
My mom's favorite person is...me!
My mom's favorite color is...all the colors.
I love my mom because...she likes me.
I love you, Brinley

____________________________________

Kierstin's class gave all of the mothers massages.
They had practiced hand and neck massages the previous week and gave me a great few minutes of relaxation.

_______________________________________

Brice's class gave the mothers a book of poems they had written. I had two favorites.

Alliteration
Mom makes many mini muffins.
Super, smiley, smart mom.
Enthusiastic empty esophagus curer.
Cooks cakes, and candy for kids.
Lani loves little loving children.

I loved his "empty esophagus curer." He said that means I make good food. And he constantly looks for ways to use my first name (Lani) because he thinks it bothers me. It doesn't.

ABC Poem

A woman was lying down at the hospital
But she wasn't sick at all.
Could this be her lucky day?
Deep down inside her is where I used to lay.
Everyone was happy when I was
Found on her lap.
"Goo Goo Gaa Gaa," is what I said.
"His name is Brice," she said right away.
"It sounds wonderful," my dad would say.
Just ten months later I learned to walk.
Kindly she raised me very
Lovingly,
Mom


4 comments:

The Jeffs Family said...

I love the shots of your 3 generation hands/feet! Brice's poetry is so funny! I am glad you had such a nice visit with your parents!!!

brooke said...

how fun!! i can't believe how much your kids have grown! they are still soo cute.

Kathleen said...

Loved the ABC poem. That was clever. Looks like your kids are getting a great education over there!

Jen said...

Brinley could not get any cuter!!!

Brice's ABC poem was the sweetest. He is so smart- the award he won fit him perfectly!! It's so nice when others see and recognize their talents and encourage them!